Whether you need to paint an address on the curb in front of your home or you are a professional who paint parking spaces roadways, you need to make sure you have the right stencils for the job. Trying to paint without stencils is simply impossible – at least if you want the results to be readable.
You can find a range of stencil options and kits that can help you do your job right. But read this blog first before you order letter stencil kits online (or any other asphalt stencils) so you can make an informed decision beforehand.
What are Pavement Letter Stencils?
As a line striper or a property owner, you'll quickly discover that you're not just going to paint simple parking lot lines and arrows on your pavement. There are plenty of opportunities for you to stencil letters too! Stenciled signs such as STOP, PARKING/NO PARKING, ONLY, BIKE, and BUS are some of the most popular ones on parking lots and roads.
But the good news is you don't need to purchase a single-word stencil that you're probably going to use only a handful of times. You can be versatile and save money by buying a pack of letter stencils or an alphabet stencil kit instead.
This stencil package contains all 26 letters of the alphabet plus four blank stencils so you can paint whichever word you or your client wants. These letter stencils are available in 12" and 10" sizes and usually made of sturdy polyethylene plastic.
Letter Stencil Applications
If you need to paint an address on a curb, the best bet is to choose letter stencils that are between three inches and four inches high. This ensures that they will fit on the curb while remaining visible to anyone who passes by. Choose alphabet stencils that produce clear, legible, and crisp results.
Painting a parking space? Then make sure to go for larger letter stencils. You will want to have stencils that are at least 12 inches high. This size is large enough that drivers navigating your parking lot will have no problem seeing them.
No Parking Signs
Letter stencils used for No Parking areas should be about 24 inches. They need to be as easy to read as possible, so there is no confusion from drivers who try to park in those spaces.
Parking Lots and Roadways
Painting roadways and large parking lots? Then you will need to have even larger stencils. There are a range of options available here at Asphalt Kingdom, and you can find the ones that will work the best for your jobs.
What Should You Look for in the Letter Stencils?
In addition to getting the proper size for the job, you also need to be aware of other factors when choosing your letter stencils. Check them out below.
1. Make sure that you purchase durable letter stencils that will last in your line of work.
2. Choose stencils that are easy to clean. You want to keep your stencils in good shape, so clean them properly to get those clean and crisp lines every time. Again, the polyethylene stencils are your best bet. With this material, you can wait until the paint dries before peeling it off. Don't want to wait for the paint to dry? You can also rub some solvent onto the stencil (make sure it's right for the paint you used) and it will come off easily.
3. Consider the thickness of the stencils. When you have stencils that are thin, you will find that the letters come out very crisp and easy to see.
But do not choose stencils that are too thin, as they could shift and flutter in the wind when you are trying to paint. Those that are about an 1/8 of an inch thick tend to work quite well, and the 1/16-inch can be used in some cases.
4. As you start to look at your various options, you will notice that some of the stencils come in kits. Take the time to explore the various kits available to find just what you need. Perhaps you only need letters, but you might also need some full stencils, such as the No Parking or Fire Lane stencils. Our 75-pc Contractor's Premium Stencil Package is also a great option for contractors who want to have it all and be prepared. See what the different kits offer and then order the ones that will ultimately meet your needs.
5. Splurge and get the best letter stencil as possible. They might be a little pricey at the onset, but you will find that quality stencils tend to be quite cost-effective in the long run.
Compare this with the cheaper stencils, such as those made from cardboard or some type of inflexible material. They tend to have a shorter lifespan, and if the material is not flexible, there is a chance they could break while you're handling them. That is the last thing you want to happen while you are in the middle of a job.
What You Need to Stencil Letters in Parking Lots
Letter Stenciling Supplies
- Water-based or oil-based traffic paint. Whichever type of paint you choose, make sure that they are formulated for asphalt parking lot use.
- Aerosol spray paint. One of the easiest ways to stencil letters on a parking lot. Just place the letter stencils on the designated area, spray, and you're good to go. Ideal for a new contractor or DIY use.
- Letter stencils. A must-have whether for DIYers or contractors. Here at Asphalt Kingdom, we have an assortment of letter stencils to suit your clients' or your own application.
- Parking lot line striper. A necessity if you're line striping large parking lots and athletic fields. Make sure to choose one with a detachable spray gun to make it easier for you to stencil letters.
Get a Variety of Stencils to Have on Hand
If you are choosing stencils, you may want to think about more than just the current jobs that you are getting. While you might only need to have letter stencils now, you could get a contract for parking lots, or other areas that may need larger stencils. In addition, those who are already working on large parking lots and roadways can consider getting some of the smaller stencils to increase the number of potential jobs they can do.
Ready to purchase your first 10" or 12" alphabet stencil kit for asphalt parking lots? Or maybe you want the whole shebang with the 75-pc Contractor's Premium Stencil Package. Then just check out the Asphalt Kingdom stencil store to choose the right one for your application and budget. You can also hop on a live chat or reach out to us if you have questions about any of our stencils.